Deluxe Curry Chicken

Who doesn't love a good curry?. It is always a favorite in my house usually the hotter the better. and I can make lots of different varieties of it, Indian, Thai etc. I Remember growing up and mum made Curry a lot  Back then I thought it was pretty good. and she always used "keens curry powder". I prefer to make my own curry blend from herbs and spices. the other night we had the dilemma of "what are we going to have for dinner?". . Being the middle of winter and a pretty bare pantry we decided curry was the go but alas my spice rack is looking fairly dismal. so I threw together a basic curry using good old keens curry powder and a fer bits and pieces and made curried sausages. I can't even remember the last time I had eaten that, and it was way better than I ever remembered it was. So tonight I made a curry chicken but the recipe is slightly different due to the fact I didn't have a few things left after making the curried sausages...So this is the curry chicken recipe and I will put the sausage variation up as well.

What you need:  

 Electric Frying Pan
500g Chicken tenders or breast (cooked either cut into cubes or pulled apart ( I prefer the later)
1 large Onion halved and sliced
2 Carrots sliced
2 small Potatoes
1-2 stalks of Celery sliced
1/2 cup Frozen Peas
Broccoli ( I decided to add it at the last minute, about a cup full ( separating the florets)
2 cups of Chicken Stock
2-3 heaped tablespoons of Keens Curry Powder
1 tablespoon on Minced Garlic
2 tablespoons of Tomato Paste
2 tablespoons of Fruit Chutney
2 small Chillies chopped (take the seeds out if you prefer)
1x tin of Coconut Cream
1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil
1 Heaped tablespoon of Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 tablespoon of Cornflour
1-2 teaspoons of Ground Ginger
1 teaspoon of Ground Coriander 
1/2 teaspoon of Paprika
1 teaspoon of Turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste

What to Do:

1. Once you have cooked the chicken and prepped all the vegetables and washed them your ready to throw this baby together .
2. put all the vegetables ( EXCEPT THE BROCCOLI)  in the electric frying pan  with a dash of oil and cook until just tender. To stop them from sticking and browning add some of the stock, it also helps them to cook faster.
3.Add the Garlic,Chillies, Tomato Paste Fruit Chutney and all the dried spices and fry just for a minute or  two then add the rest of the stock and simmer for a few more minutes.
4. Add the Coconut Cream and Coconut Oil and mix well all the while on a slow simmer.
5. Add the Chicken and Crunchy Peanut Butter
6.If the sauce is still a little to thin use a couple spoonfuls to make a paste with the Cornflour and add in to the pan.
6. Add the broccoli last cover with a lid and gently simmer until the broccoli is cooked.
7. Serve with rice ( add some Turmeric to the rice whilst cooking for a tasty yellow rice).
Deluxe Curry Chicken


Comments