Honey Sesame Chicken

This is not my recipe. It is Justine Schofield's from Everyday Gourmet. 

 She is one of my favorite cooks. I love Honey chicken and lemon Chicken. But I really detest takeaway Chinese food, and much prefer to cook my own. This is one of the easiest and best recipes for Honey & Sesame chicken I have come across. I love this recipe so much that is why I am sharing it here, and I am sure it will be a favorite with your family too...
The picture is mine though and how it turned out when I cooked it for dinner tonight.

Ingredients

Grapeseed oil, for deep-frying ,you can use vegetable
2 chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 eggs
4 tbsp cornflour
White sesame seeds, for garnish
Honey lemon sauce
¼ cup of water
¼ cup of honey
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp 5 spice (optional)
¼ tsp sesame oil
Juice of 1 lemon and zest of ½ lemon

Method

Whisk together the eggs and soy sauce. Toss the chicken with the soy and egg and marinate for 20 minutes.
For the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small pot and bring to boil. Then turn down to a low heat and simmer until it thickens.
Add the cornflour to the chicken and mix through until there are no lumps.
Heat oil in a wok to 180°C. Carefully place chicken pieces one by one into the oil and deep fry in batches until golden brown. Drain chicken pieces on paper towel or a rack then place in a bowl with the sauce and toss until well coated and glistening. Place in a shallow bowl and sprinkle over sesame seeds and a little extra sesame oil.

NOTE: I
1. If you like a lot of sauce it wouldn't hurt to double the batch. I found this quantity was just enough to coat it nicely and I like a little bit extra to soak into my rice.
2. Even though the 5 spice is optional I wouldn't leave it out as I think it makes the dish.

Honey Sesame Chicken with Thai Fried Rice

Comments