Cacao and Oats Power Muffins

 If you're trying to eat healthier, trying to control or avoid getting type 2 diabetes and like me are switching to a sugar free diet. these are the muffins for you. Packed with goodness and energy they will also keep your sugar levels in check and are the perfect snack if your on the go. Now I will admit I had my doubts as I was making these and tasted the raw batter . I thought eww it needs some sweetener ! but I restrained myself and my craving for something sweet and stuck to my guns, I have been almost sugar free ( I am still trying to wean it out of my morning coffee) for almost 2 months now, and going backwards just isn't an option for me So I continued with them, they looked pretty decent when they were cooked but what did they taste like honestly! Ok well If your body is full of sugars these probably won't appeal to you. But for me personally the first bite, the texture was good, yep they aren't sweet but after a few bites I didn't mind them, yum actually and they are really filling the added bits of dark chocolate was enough sweet for me so they are a keeper and it is a good recipe that I can do a lot with like add or switch the cacao for blueberries etc.
If you really really want to add sugar, try adding a little honey, maple syrup or lo GI sugar maybe a tablespoon at most. I am not going to tell you to add artificial substitutes like Stevia, etc because I simply believe they are if not worse for you and just as bad as sugar itself  So I hope you lik my little muffins they were an experiment did I mention that? it turned out allgood .

What you need:

4 tablespoons of Cacao
3/4 cup of melted organic coconut oil  I use BANABAN 
2 x 800gram eggs
3/4 cup of unsweetened Almond milk
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 tablespoon Flax seed meal
1 tablespoon Whey Protein
1 large Banana broken up into bits
Pinch of ground Sea salt
1 teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 3/4 cups of Oat flour
1/4 cup of Almond meal
dark chocolate bits or cacao bits ( to decorate)

What to do:

1. Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, Oat flour, Almond meal, Flax, Whey powder, Salt, Baking powder, Cacao.
2. In another large bowl place the wet ingredients, Eggs, Coconut oil, Apple cider vinegar,  Banana, Vanilla. Process with a stick blender until smooth and creamy
3. Add the almond milk a bit at a time to the wet ingredients until combined
4. Now you can add the wet  mixture to the dry and mix well
5. Place the paper cups in the muffin tin and lightly spray with with oil and fill each cup, stick a few chocolate bits into the top and bake for around 20-25 minutes at 185 fan forced depending on your oven ( mine is a bench top oven).
Notes:
To make oat flour simply add "Uncle Toby's  original oats to a processor and blitz until you have flour. I actually do mine in my Nutri-bullet, store in an airtight glass jar and you will always have it on hand for baking it is also a cheaper alternative to some other health flours like almond and in my book it is just as good
Cacao and Oats Power Muffins

Comments